Hunting for faries and playing pirates in spectacular Hawke's Bay landscapes is my favourite hobby. My style of family portraiture is a journey that starts with candid doco-style shooting of your baby at home in those first crazy weeks, followed by location family sessions with young children where kids can use their imagination in a wild, completely candid way. In contrast, I also love the powerful simplicity of children in a contemporary studio setting, especially printed big and beautiful on fine art paper. This style is especially cool for documenting the emerging independent spirit of teens and pre-teens. Family portrait photography is not about creating a record of how you and your family looked during a moment in time, but capturing the magic of what it meant to hang out together, to love each other and to laugh.
Sessions & Collections
studio session - $650 SHOOT FEE INCLUDES $450 PRINT CREDIT
The simple, paired-back aesthetic of natural light in a studio environment. I love this style of shooting for large-format, contemporary fine-art prints. It's a style that reveals the innocence of childhood, the power of family and the growing independent spirit in teens and pre-teens. This studio session suits nuclear families wanting images as a group as well as individuals of children.
studio mini session - $450 shoot fee includes $300 print credit
Capture the spirit of your child, your relationship or your pregnancy with a session that focuses on individuals or couples.
LOCATION OR LIFESTYLE family SESSION - $750 shoot fee includes $550 print credit
Working with the light and landscape to create some spectacular photography of your family and children, I love to use places and spaces that you spend time in as a family, or come to your home to spend an hour or so shooting in a candid documentary style so you have beautiful memories of who you are as a family at one moment in time.
Newborn lifestyle session - $650 shoot fee includes $450 print credit
I am absolutely passionate about the value of professionally documenting the incredibly special time when a baby joins the family. It is a gloriously chaotic part of your life and I want to help you to remember what it felt like by spending time with you and your baby at home, learning each other’s ways in a natural, unposed way. All the new routines of home life become future treasures when beautifully documented.
* Because I have my own little family and shoot a lot of weddings, I only schedule one family session a week. This gives me the creative headspace to fully focus on your family (excuse the pun) and how best to document and edit your session so that it truly rocks. For this reason, please get in touch in plenty of time.
* Between October and May, I shoot family sessions on Monday, Tuesday and Friday. Studio sessions can be any time of day, and location sessions are scheduled around the best light (first thing in the morning or late afternoon/early evening). Weekend sessions are available June-September (and I LOVE winter light!)
* Editing your images is a craft and one I invest a lot of time and thought into. Your images will be ready to view by appointment at the Bay View studio three weeks after your session, during business hours on Monday, Tuesday and Friday. We'll schedule a viewing time at the end of our photography session.
* I am absolutely passionate about using my creative skill with your family to create truly unique art for your home that goes beyond the stock-standard framed family portrait we walk past in so many homes. I love big, bold, dramatic imagery that stops people in their tracks and sparks conversations. If you're going to hang something on your wall forever, it should be truly awesome and big enough to make a statement.
* I also live in the real world, which is a digital one, so all prints ordered come with a web-size digital file and digital collections are part of some of our packages. Find out more here.
* I don't shoot family events (reunions etc) but please get in touch if you'd like a referral.
* The best locations are those with special family memories, or where the sun position really enhances the creativity and ability to play together. Eva will discuss this with you before your session. Please note that locations beyond Napier/Hastings/Havelock North incur a $50 surcharge (beaches/Central Hawke's Bay etc).
* Clothing should reflect who you are, but if you are uncertain, go for simple, classic clothing in a muted palette avoiding bold prints, logos and loud colours. It's about you, not what you're wearing. When you're choosing what to wear, consider a colour pop or hue that ties you together as a family and consider the seasons and colours of nature during that time of year. For pre-teens and teens, I believe it's especially important to document who they really are as individuals, so even if you bring their 'Sunday best', also consider letting them pick their own clothes as it's all part of telling the story of who they are.